My Year in the Country

I am the light of my adopted parents' life after generously allowing them to take me home. I adopted them at Hoboken Animal Hospital where I was having a "spa treatment" (deworming, ear mite removal, and minor plastic surgery after my injured tail was removed) because they looked so pathetic when they saw me. Now these two have gone off to China to teach English for a year, so I currently reside with the adopted grandparentals until they return. They live in the country, so there are lots of new things to see and do. I have agreed to pose for many endearing pictures and to recount my days' events here for all to purr over.
Meow.

Friday, October 3, 2008

I'm a Brave Boy

Meow!

Other Mother is a stealthy cat; I must keep a better eye on her. When I was least expecting it, she scooped me up into her normally loving arms and craftily backed me up into my carrier before I knew what was happening. I didn't even put my legs out to prevent going in, but just sat down in the box. What a scam! She had the lid closed before I could start meowing in protest. Where to next? I had no clue, but gave her a piece of my meow all the way there!

So, we arrived at a place that smelled of .... other furry creatures. This was not reassuring, but Other Mother spoke softly to me and told me it was ok and that I was a good boy. Purr. Next, somebody took me out of the box and plunked me on a large thing that weighed me...13.3 lbs! Everybody crowed over what a big boy I was. Then I got put back into the box, protesting a little bit this time, and taken into another room where a lady examined me all over and cleaned out my ears and poked my belly and checked my teeth and clipped my claws and told Other Mother that I was a very expensive Manx. Ha, ha. According to the lady, I am a brown classic tabby, the best kind in my book.

Oh, yes, I almost forgot...I got two shots in my heinie (rabies and distemper). Meow! Ow! I was very brave and only hissed a few times. Then it was back into the box again and back in the car. By that time I was so rattled that I had an "accident. " Other Mother opened the car windows on the way home. Once home she put me in the laundry room and closed the door so she could assess the mess before I spread it all over the house. I wouldn't do that! Instead I headed for the back of the dryer again until I got my nerve up to come out. Other Mother gave me some food and then wiped my fur a bit, but I did the proper clean-up, cat style! It was no time before I was back on my paws and this was just a distant bad memory. The shots did make me sleepy, so it was a restful end of the day. Other Mother was relieved that this was all over, too.

3 comments:

Cullen said...

Oh lordy, lordy! Coco sure is a fiesty one! I don't remember him protesting as much when I took him to the vet the first time, but he was a younger, more naive kitty then.

Keep your receipts! Reimbursement is coming!

Cullen

Melissa said...

oh my god, that sounds horrible. i'm so sorry! i'm happy to hear that he's doing well. definitely keep a tab for us! you're so brave!!

Evelyn Fischel said...

No reimbursement requested! It was reward enough to know that it went better than I thought it would. He's all good for one year!!